This insurance protects items that can easily be removed from a property. Cover can be for risks such as fire, theft or accidental damage. The amount you have to pay towards any claim is called an excess, and can vary depending on the item covered and what it is being insured against (e.g. accidental damage, theft).

Think carefully before securing debt against your home, your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.